What is the Toyota Safety Sense System?
Automatic safety technology used to be a thing of the future, but now it’s making its way into our every day lives. Toyota has decided to equip almost all of their new models with Toyota Safety Sense, a comprehensive safety suite that helps vehicles by providing driver assistance and mitigating frontal collisions. They come in two forms, the TSS-C package for compact vehicles and the TSS-P package for midsize or larger vehicles.
What Safety Features Come with Toyota Safety Sense?
The TSS-C package comes with:
- Pre-Collision System with Vehicle Detection – Uses camera and laser beam technology to determine that there is a possibility of a collision, and if so, alerts the driver to take evasive action.
- Land Departure Alert – Uses a camera to detect the visible white and yellow lane markings in the road, and notifies the driver with an alert if they are deviating from those markings.
- Automatic High Beam – When enabled, the vehicle recognizes when it’s appropriate to use high beam versus low beam by lights by using its camera to detect other drivers on the road.
The TSS-P package includes all of the TSS-C package plus:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection – Uses laser beam and camera technology to detect if there is a possibility of a collision with a pedestrian, then alerts the driver to take evasive action.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control – Uses a vehicle-to-vehicle control mode to keep a safe distance from others while you are in cruise control, without any need for the driver to adjust the speed themselves.
- Steering Assist function – Sensing from the Lane Departure Alert that the car is about to deviate from the white and yellow lane markers, the Steering Assist function will make small corrective adjustments to the steering until it’s back in the correct lane.